World Snooker Championship to go ahead ‘as things stand’

The World Snooker Tour has responded to social media rumours that the World Championship and other events this season could be postponed due to the coronavirus.

The crisis has shook the world of sport with many high profile tournaments in football, cricket, golf and Formula One – to name just a few – postponed or suspended due to the fast spreading disease which has killed thousands of people across the globe.

World Snooker Tour bosses postponed the China Open last month as the virus has reached severe levels in areas of the Far East.

This leaves the current Gibraltar Open, which is now a behind closed doors event, the Tour Championship, the World Championship Qualifiers and the World Championship to go this season.

In a statement released on Friday, the World Snooker Tour said it was their intention for the remaining events to take place – as things stand.

“As it stands, our intention is that our upcoming events will go ahead as planned,” it said.

“This includes next week’s Tour Championship in Llandudno, and the World Championship in Sheffield.

“However we must consider all scenarios and we will follow government advice. The health and safety of our fans, players and staff is of course our priority.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s